Academic Advisor - Work location: Midland, PA
Posted Nov 14, 2023
JOB TITLE: Academic Advisor
REPORTS TO: Assistant Director of Academic Advisors
JOB GOAL: The Academic Advisor provides guidance, support, and customer service to students and families. The Academic Advisor is responsible to analyze, verify, and record external and internal school records and to ensure students are progressing towards grade level promotion and graduation requirements. The Academic Advisor serves as the first point of contact for families and is a key communicator of important school information.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Valid and active Pennsylvania teaching certification preferred
- Child Abuse Clearance; Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Clearance
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide quality customer service and support for all students.
- Communicate important school information to families via phone and email in a timely manner.
- Field incoming parent and student calls and respond to emails and voicemails within 24 hours.
- Advise students on appropriate course selections.
- Schedule courses and order materials as necessary
- Maintain accurate contact logs and academic records for students.
- Gather all academic records and continuously verify/update academic histories.
- Plan, organize, and facilitate orientations for new students.
- Monitor, verify, and gather appropriate information/documentation and process requests for student data and residency changes.
- Identify student issues, make appropriate referrals, and assist in developing student success plans.
- Request course extensions for third party courses
- Assist Attendance Office and Child Accounting Office as requested
- Identify and refer ELL students to the ESL Program Coordinator
- Submit IAT requests and provide pertinent information when requested (current grades, benchmark assessment results, and state assessment results)
- Track graduation requirements
- Track Keystone requirements
- Submit course transfer requests.
- Complete student withdrawals as necessary
- Process grade level promotions and retentions
- Participate in enrollment events as requested by Director or Assistant Director of Academic Advisors
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the position, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible responsibilities, tasks, and duties. Additional duties may be assigned, as necessary.